Thursday, July 29, 2010
Wednesday, July 28, 2010
Under dim lights, in darkened corners,
Slumped atop skeletons of stained oak,
faces find harbor in smoky gauze.
The man with a black ponytail
moves by rote: Nodding. Turning. Reaching.
A sweating bottle waits where a perfect circle spreads,
wet with commiseration.
Curses and dedications etched in wood
recall decades of how it began:
with a glance.
There is the smell
of too many combined smells.
Twenty-one smokes and ten ounces from the well,
the girl with a scar for each of her eighteen years
fades into brick and mortar
behind the fourth booth to the left,
the one signed by
Hank Williams III:
Hellbilly, it says,
The hours grow old and wasted.
Tuesday, July 27, 2010
- coffee. i go to bed looking forward to that first cup, when my house is still morning-quiet.
- "the lion sleeps tonight." it's on my itunes right now. my dad would sing it as he walked from room to room in our old house, the one i grew up in.
- when joker comes to my desk chair and puts his head in my lap, and it makes me feel like he's saying, "thank you for keeping me."
- right now, swaying in my chair along with townes van zandt and emmylou harris singing "if i needed you." i think i'll press repeat.
- when a man i like carries me. it's a perfect moment, no matter what.
- the long drives ellen and i used to take when i first moved here, when everything was new and nothing was old.
- the way jessi closes her eyes and turns her head and crunches her shoulders when she's laughing. that's when i know it's really, really funny.
- listening to erin's off-the-cuff hillbilly-isms that are funnier than anything heehaw ever dreamed up, and especially imagining the look on someone's face after they've crossed her, and the way she always knows exactly what to say to me, more than anyone else in the world.
- cupcakes. they make me little-kid excited.
- grass. the kind next to bodies of water or in big fields or pretty yards.
Sunday, July 25, 2010
Saturday, July 24, 2010
Friday, July 23, 2010
Thursday, July 22, 2010
Tuesday, July 20, 2010
i'm writing when i should be working. but if i were working, i'd want to be writing. today reminded me of how behind i am on everything. i'll get to it all... tomorrow. right now i want a beer, a back rub, and a roll in the hay. i can't afford two of the three, so i'll settle for a beer.