know when to fold 'em?

"sorry i forgot about u this weekend"...that's what the text message said. all i could do was laugh. i think all my relationships could be reduced to that phrase, minus the "this weekend" part, interchangeable with other timeframes like "last night" or "this year" or most holidays. sometimes it has been the man doing the forgetting. other times it's me, except i have more guts than most men when it comes to saying the hard things sooner rather than later.

thankfully, i no longer care that the above texter forgets me. i stopped caring a few years ago. he's an old fling who occasionally crosses my path. since we might kiss each other from time to time, i wouldn't exactly call us friends, but we're cool. whatever heat once existed between us is now barely lukewarm. the last time we saw each other, we didn't even bother. that makes me laugh, too.

what i have with texter is what most men want from me: they want me not to care. or they want me to act like i don't care? or they just don't care, period? i can't tell, bc the lines they draw leave me cocking my head this way and that way. the way you look at a kindergartner's drawing, trying to decide if it's a penis with eyeballs or a rocket. truth is, both the kindergartner and the man are drawing penises with eyeballs. difference being, if you ask them to explain, one won't say anything and the other will insist it's a rocket. neither will get you anywhere.

men are the worst invention ever, and i'll be damned if i don't love every bad thing about them. 

Comments

Popular Posts